2010-2011 Season Report

2010-2011 1st Team Match Reports

Saturday 11th September 2010

Old Grammarians 14 – 14 Hendon

Although both Clubs had pre League fixtures the previous week, both sides appeared very “rusty” in this first League encounter of the season.
Old Grammarians had the best of the set pieces whilst Hendon looked dangerous in the back line with new Hendon Captain Lee Linale leading by example. Missing a long penalty from the kick off, Lee converted his next to give Hendon an initial lead after only three minutes of play. But Hendon’s initial thrust was short-lived, because for the next 20 minutes Old Grammarian’s stayed put in the Hendon half and were rewarded with a penalty kick and a forwards dominated try in the corner to take the lead eight points to three. Hendon were now under serious pressure but winger Joe Haugie took a long pass from defence to run the length of the pitch to score in the corner for an unconverted try and, against the run of play, the half time score was eights points all.
Early into the second half, Hendon attacked the strong Grammarian’s defence and again took the lead through another Linale penalty kick to go ahead eight points to 11. In this end to end game however, Grammarians returned to the attack with Hendon conceding an easy penalty after numerous scrummaging mistakes to make the score level again at 11-11.
As the game went into the last 20 minutes, Hendon coach Dave Maskell made two tactical replacements that brought back Hendon into the game turning defence into attack. Chris Towndrow came into the front row and Cosy Mutuma into the second row. From almost zero line out possession Hendon were now taking the ball and driving forward causing the home outfit to concede another penalty yet again, which enabled Hendon to regain the lead at 11-14.
With 40 minutes on the clock it looked as though Hendon would take the full points from this game but for some reason four minutes of extra time were played and with the last kick of the match, Grammarians converted a penalty to draw the match and deprive Hendon of valuable League points.

Saturday 18th September 2010

Hendon v Verulamians : Match Postponed

Both teams were ready at 3pm to kick off but the appointed referee failed to arrive. Many calls were made to the Referees’ Society to ascertain his whereabouts but to no avail. A qualified Hendon referee was present and available, but Verulamians decided to await a new date to play the match and just play out a friendly on this occasion.
Playing downhill Hendon were under pressure from Verulamians’ backline and found themselves 0-14 down in as many minutes from two good tries. Hendon, now using the match as a training exercise made two changes after 20 mins and with his first touch of the game winger and debutant Alegria went over uphill in the corner with Linale’s kick just going wide to take the score to five point s to 14.
As Hendon’s pack got to grips with play and Hendon’s backs started penetrating the Verulamnian’s defence, Hendon were awarded a penalty from 30 metres out, and this was slotted over by captain Lee Linale for a 8-14 scoreline. Then a defensive error by the home outfit let the opposition in with an easy converted try under the posts. In the last minutes of the first half Hendon were camped in the Verulamian’s 22 but strong defence held them out. Verulamians then conceded a five metre penalty which would have been easy to convert but Hendon looked for maximum points and twice through Chris Towndrow and Ralph Chapman were held up on the line only for the half time whistle to sound.
In the second half it looked to be the home outfit who were the more dangerous but then after 10 minutes of play the referee pulled up with a pulled muscle and full time was blown to end the encounter at 8-21 with the League match to be played in mid October, date to be confirmed.

Saturday 23rd October 2010

Kilburn Cosmos 7 – 20 Hendon

In a fair contest this match had its fair share of controversy with 2 yellow cards, a penalty try and 25 penalties evenly distributed to both sides; and all this after the referee was 40 minutes late in getting the game underway!
In the first half it was the home outfit on the score sheet after 13 minutes and 7 penalties. At a scrum on the Hendon 10 metre line, Hendon won the ball twice but the scrums were reset. Kilburn were successful on the third occasion and cleverly worked the ball wide for their winger to go over for the 1st try of the match, which was converted for Kilburn to go into the lead seven points to nil. Hendon’s pack then got to grips with Kilburn and now camped in the
Kilburn half but steadfast defence kept the visitors at bay. On the 15th penalty Hendon’s Ben Linale slotted over to close the score to 7points to 3 at half time.
Into the second half Hendon centre Michael Blake intercepted a Kilburn pass and looked through to score but the whistle indicates yet another penalty and play returned to the Hendon 10 metre line. After a further ten minutes Hendon’s second row Doyle was yellow carded but Hendon held out with 14 men and after 20 mins with a full side,
Hendon’s Captain, Lee Linale, collects another poor Kilburn pass to score an unconverted try. This puts Hendon in the lead at seven points to eight.
Hendon’s pack now began to dominate with man of the match, prop forward Tony Connor, punching holes in the Kilburn defence as Hendon’s forwards pick and drive through. This created the space for a backs’ move from the Kilburn 22 metre line and with Hendon having men to spare a Kilburn player deliberately knocked on a Hendon pass. The referee awarded a penalty try and sin binned the Kilburn player and the visitor’s lead was extended to seven points to 15.
Kiburn now had to defend out the game with Hendon’s back row of Mutuma, O’Regan and especially Kelly dominating play. In the closing minute Hendon’s pack pushed over the line only for the try to be disallowed and Hendon penalised, again. However, the Kilbuen clearing kick was charged down and Hendon hooker Joel Curry crashed over to finish off a
better Hendon afternoon with a win of seven ponts to 20.

Saturday 30th October 2010

Hendon 3 – 15 London Welsh Amateurs

Although Hendon lost this League encounter, they can reflect that London Welsh were very beatable and without their indiscipline, the home outfit could have done better.
From the off, Hendon kicked upfield with Joel Curry gaining possession in
the first maul, London Welsh were offside and Lee Linale slotted over for a 3points lead after just two minutes. With end to end play, Welsh missed a penalty after 15 minutes then from a run upfield by Hendons Neame, Welsh were again penalised but the kick was missed. Hendon then had second row Doyle sin binned for indiscipline which counted when with minutes to go to the break, Welsh kicked downfield and their forwards pushed over the Hendon try line on the third attempt to go three points to five up at half time.
In the second half and back to 15 players, Hendon looked the better side, with Doyle taking line outs from the visitors, but in the 20th minute backrow O’Regan was sin binned for a second technical offence and Hendon with only 14 men
again and with territorial advantage could not turn possession to points.
Into the last 10 minutes, Hendon conceded a penalty on the Welsh 22, which was kicked upfield, defended poorly and Welsh’s scrum half was on hand to finish off with a converted try and take them three points to 12 up.
All Hendon replacements were given a run out in the last few minutes but a further sin binning to Linale and
a penalty kick in front of the posts gave Welsh an impressive 3 points to 15 win although the score does not show the closeness of the match when 15 were playing 15.

Saturday 13 November 2010

Old Hamptonians 23 – 15 Hendon
Due to injuries, unavailability’s and late call offs Hendon were reduced to a bare skeleton squad including 6 second team players having had to take players from the second team squad at the very last minute just to make up fifteen. In a closely fought game Hendon made the better start with their forwards able to make good inroads. This lead to lock Aiden Doyle bustling over for a try with the conversion missed by Hadley. Shortly after this indiscipline cost Hendon as a sin bin for their prop left them a man short for 10 mins. This advantage resulted in 2 penalties for the home side, but only converting one. Hendon thought they had weathered the storm but just before half time, a string of penalties resulted in Old Hamptoinians gaining good field position from which they were able to create one of their very few scoring opportunities, and scored a converted try. This left the half time score as 10 – 5.
Into the second half and it was pretty even stuff, the home side had a number of penalties given against them in a short space of time, from which they had a man sent to the bin. Hendon applied a lot of pressure with the man advantage but were only able to add 3 points to their tally to close within 2. A couple of penalties from the home side left the score at 16 – 8 with less than 10 minutes to go.
The Hendon pack stepped up the pressure in search of way back into the game. From the pressure winger Kola was able to kick through and was about to touch down when he was taken out off the ball. A penalty try was awarded and converted to leave Hendon trailing by a point with a few minutes to go.
From the kick off Hendon were pinned back but began to use the pack to make ground up field. However the lack of experience and tiredness told as a knock on gave the ball back to OH. With a couple of minutes to go OH were camped on the Hendon line and some cynical defending seen Connelly sent to the bin. With the extra man the home side created an overlap to score in the corner with the last play of the game. The conversion was made to rob Hendon of a losing bonus point, which was the very least they deserved.

Saturday 20th November 2010

Hendon 36 – 9 Old Actonians

Hendon’s pack outgunned Old Actonians to move up the League. Starting equal bottom of their league but this win takes them up three places to 8th position with the addition of a bonus point for their 5 tries.
The home side were uphill in the 1st half with the pack pushing forward with their superior weight and after 15 minutes Captain Lee Linale slotted over the first penalty to take the lead by three points to nil. Then with a team move the forwards engaged in a ruck/maul driving upfield into the Actonian 22. The ball was spun out wide with all the backline
handling and winger Neave finished with the try in the corner to increase the lead to eight points. Midfield play ensued with Actonians getting themselves into the game with a penalty. On the half hour the Hendon pack with second rows Connell and Lennon dominating pushed from the 22 to the 5 metre line with hooker Curry going blind to score
a Linale converted try. With only a minute left to the interval, Hendon’s pack were held up short in
several attempts to cross the line but winger Joe Haugie was on hand to crash over in the corner with Linale converting
from the touchline for the home outfit to go into half time 22 points to three up.
In the second half, although playing downhill, Hendon took their foot off the pedal and allowed Actonians into the game. Hendon conceded two penalties for Actonians to close the scoreline to 22 points to nine. However, Hendon took back the advantage after 20 minutes to camp on the Actonians’ line with Mutuma eventually going
over for a try, which Linale converted to take the score to 29 points to nine. Finally in the closing minutes Joel Curry was driven over the line by his fellow forwards from a lineout move to score the last try, converted by Linale to finish worthy winners at 36 points to nine.

Saturday 11th December 2010

Hendon 13 – 44 Hackney

From the kick off Hendon looked good but the second half told a different story as Hendon collapsed and suffered with a terrible injury to flanker Aiden Kelly.
Hendon were downhill from the start and camped on the Hackney try line for the first seven minutes as their heavier pack took command. Over the line went captain Lee Linale but his try was disallowed. Next over was second row forward Laurence Lennon for another disallowed try then finally the whole pack went over and Kosy Mutuma fell on the pushover and this try was converted by Linale for Hendon to take a seven point lead. Midfield play for the next 20 minutes saw Hackney claw their way back and being rewarded with two penalties before Linale slotted over for the home outfit to keep the lead at 10 points to 6. Then in the 34th minute a Hendon defensive error was kicked through by the Hackney centre to score an easy converted try for them to take the lead 10 points to 13. In the closing movement of the half, Linale setting up an attacking move was high tackled on the Hackney 10 metre line which Linale slotted to equalise at 13-13. Into injury time with Hendon on the attack, Hackney took the ball out of defence with a run up field; however Hendon’s players stopped as the ball clearly went forward. But this was not seen by the referee and an easy converted try was scored for Hackney to take the lead 13 points to 20.
With only two minutes played in the second half Hendon conceded a penalty and the visitors went further ahead. As Hackney were no match for the Hendon larger but slower pack, they started to run the ball and with a fitter backline proceeded to find the gaps and run through Hendon’s weaker and less fit players resulting in three more converted tries in the half without answer from Hendon so that they rabn out easy winners 13 points to 44.
It got worse for Hendon though for with 5 minutes to go outstanding wing forward Aiden Kelly suffered a broken leg after a tackle on a Hackney player and with an ambulance called it was considered to dangerous to move him and the final whistle was blown.

Saturday 8th January 2011

Hendon 12 – 5 Harlequins Amateurs

The new year started well for Hendon. In spite of not playing for a month and fielding a weakened XV, their defence held out against a robust Harlequin outfit, to earn Hendon four much needed league points.
Hendon were uphill in the first half and were soon pinned to their try line by Harlequins and conceded two kickable penalties in the first 15 minutes. Fortunately, both were missed. Then Hendon fullback Cremin, stopped the Quins winger with a superb tackle to avoid an almost certain try. After 25 minutes of the half Hendon had their first glimpse of the Quins 22, but this was short lived relief as Quins returned to the Hendon 22. Quins then took scrum options from two further penalties, which Hendon defended bravely until a final push by Quins gave them a pushover try to take the lead by five points. As the game went into the last minute of the first half Hendon pushed upfield and were awarded a penalty out wide which captain Lee Linale slotted over so the teams turned round at three points to five.
The roles were reversed in the second half with the home outfit dominating the Quins and staying in the opposition 22. This led to a scrum 10 meters out, which saw Hendon push over for a possible try but a Quins player kicked it out illegally and only another scrum awarded instead of a possible penalty try. But defending desperately Quins were offside again and Linale slotted over another penalty for Hendon to take the lead at six points to 5. Hendon’s well drilled pack with Julian excelling were now on top and settling to the heavy ground and this dominance allowed Linale to kick two further penalties ton take the final score to 12 points to five.
Team: Cremin, Okoka, Lynch, Whittaker, Chapman, Blake, Linale, Connor, Gilbride, Julian, Kerrigan, Haughie, Moore, Vicente, O’Regan.

Saturday 15th January 2011

Hendon 3 – 0 Saracens Amateurs

Hendon won this League encounter in the first minute and then heroically held off a superior Saracens outfit for the remaining 79 minutes.
Hendon won the toss and elected to play downhill with the wind in the first half. From the first Hendon kick Saracens mishandled and second row Tony Connor collected to go into a maul in front of the Saracens’ posts. Saracens were caught offside and Captain Lee Linale slotted over the penalty to make the score three points to nil.
From the restart the Saracens camped in the Hendon 22 until after 15 minutes they were rewarded a penalty for a Hendon infringement but the kick went wide. Hendon then pushed downfield only to return to their own half to defend only to have Linale sin binned after 25 mins for a second penalty offence. With a player short Hendon took the offensive to Saracens but got nowhere and were on their own five metre line on 35 mins when Linale returned as
Julian replaced the injured prop Haughie. With the extra weight in the scrum Hendon again defended to finish the first half with a slender lead.
In the second half Saracens with the benefit of the slope, the wind and the superior all round team, it could only be a matter of time before they scored as Hendon looked certainly doomed. But Hendon had different ideas and to a man
defended their lines in a fashion one can only attribute to trench warfare. Hendon’s pack was reorganised after 20 minutes of the half with Connor moving up to the front row and Kerrigan replacing Moore to go into the second row. This allowed the Hendon pack to compete on level terms with the heavier Saracens. In the line out a welcome return of Aiden Doyle in the second row gave Hendon much needed lineout possession, allowing the home side to drive upfield but still not within sight of the Saracens line. Then in the 30th minute Saracens were awarded a kickable penalty to level, but the kick went wide.
In the last 10 minutes it was Saracens from all directions with tackles across the pitch with Cremin, Connor, Blake and Vicente excelling. With minutes to go Saracens were held up twice over the line and from the scrums, Sami Iwasawa delayed the pass to Linale to clear for touch. Hendon were then awarded a penalty as the ref called last play
and the ball was cast into space as the final whistle blew and Hendon had won a welcome four League points against their rivals Saracens.

Saturday 22nd January 2011

HAC 48 – 3 Hendon 3

Hendon were up against League leaders HAC and were outclassed by a team destined for promotion.
However, similar to the previous week Hendon were ahead after 2 minutes with a penalty slotted over by Captain Lee Linale. But this was not to be a repeat of the Saracens encounter as 10 minutes later HAC powered over with
their first try from a rolling maul to take the lead at 5 points to 3. As mid field play continued it was certain that HAC would strike again as Hendon were forced to defend continually. After 22 minutes HAC succeeded and scored in the corner from a 3/4 move and with the conversion took their lead to 12 points to 3. Hendon then had two scoring chances with penalties but both went short of the posts. Then in the 35th minute Linale threw a long pass from defence to winger Joe Haughie who ran the length of the pitch but was stopped just short of the HAC line.
After the interval, HAC scored from the start after poor Hendon handling and traffic after that was somewhat one way as they ran in a further five tries for a second half score line of 36 points to nil.
Hendon’s Director of Rugby Micky Harber commented ” We were all impressed with the HAC performance and although we had key players missing on the day, this team were the best we have seen at Hendon this season.

Saturday 5th February 2011

London Welsh Amateurs 16 – 6 Hendon

The scoreline does not reflect a game that Hendon dominated for long periods but could not cross the Welsh lines for a try. Hendon from the start camped inside the Welsh 22 with forwards Terry Gilbride and Aiden Doyle both denied tries on the line in the first 10 minutes. Hendon’s front row outplayed the Welsh with hooker Joel Curry taking 6 strikes against the head. However, as Hendon were pushing forward on the half hour an intercept by the Welsh winger saw him run the length of the pitch to score an unconverted try in the corner completely against the run of play 5-0. Within a minute Hendon were awarded a penalty which Lee Linale slotted over from 45 metres out to close the gap to two points. But then on the stroke of half time, Hendon were caught offside in their own half and Welsh kicked a penalty to go 8 points to 3 up.
In the second half Hendon’s player/coach Dave Maskell was soon into the action repossessing several times from Welsh mauls with Brian O’Regan and Cosy Mutuma on hand to take play into the Welsh. An interception by centre Alex Whittaker was stopped short by the Welsh defence who conceded a penalty but the attempt went wide. But again midway through the half with Hendon on the attack a breakout from defence by Welsh left Hendon flat footed to score in the corner to extend their lead to 13 points to 3. The Welsh defence then continued to hold out as both teams were awarded penalties in the last 10 minutes to finish at 16 points to 6.

Saturday 12th February 2011

Old Priorians 7 – 33 Hendon

Hendon’s forwards were outstanding in this re-arranged League encounter from the bad weather pre Christmas. Hendon from the start took control up front and moved the ball upfield for their first line out. A driving maul resulted and prop Paul Julian went over to score after 2 minutes an unconverted try. As Hendon played the next 15 minutes in Priorian territory, another score was on the cards. Captain and scrum half Lee Linale made the break and put hooker Joel Curry through to score another unconverted try to take the lead to 10 points. Then Lee Linale slotted over a penalty on 25 minutes as the visitors kept up the pressure. A five metre scrum to Hendon on the half hour saw Linale cut round the blind side to pass to JP Cremin at speed and Joe Haughie was on hand to finish the move for another unconverted try taking the lead to 18 points. Then on 35 minutes Hendon allowed the home outfit into the game with their first conceded penalty. Priorians with a quick tap took Hendon by surprise with an
overlap move to score easily to reduce the deficit to 7 points to 18. But the half belonged to Hendon as Linale slotted over another penalty to finish the half at 7 points to 21.
Into the second Hendon used their upfront strengths to good result. Led by pack leader Brian O’Regan, heavyweights Paul Julian and Luke McEnemy excelled. 15 minutes into the half saw a set scrum drive to the Priorians line from their 22 and Lee Linale adding to his tally by picking up to score a try for the all important League bonus point. This try was
converted by replacement Ben Linale. As the game came to a close Priorians tried to resist the Hendon onslaught, but O’Regan crashed over in the corner for an unconverted try to finish the match at 7 points to 33.

Saturday 26th February 2011

Verulamians 29 – 9 Hendon

Hendon were on top at the interval but went to pieces after to lose this vital league encounter. From the off Hendon’s forwards were totally dominant with second row Luke McEnemy excelling. Errors from the Verulamian pack were punished by returning scrum half Ben Linale replacing his brother Lee who was unavailable. After 20 minutes Hendon were ahead by 9 points through Ben’s kicking and seemed to be in control with angled moves from Hendon’s back row of Mutuma, O’Regan and Curry.Then with five minutes to the break, Curry was sinbinned for repeated technical offences and Verulamians found the overlap to score an unconverted try in the corner to take the score at half time to five points to nine.
Still with only 14 on the field at the start of the second half, Hendon were exposed almost immediately as Verulamians No 8 finished off a 3/4’s move under the post to take them 12 points to 9 up. Further problems came for Hendon as front row injury forced off prop Paul Julian and whilst Hendon were reorganising Verulamians pushed Hendon back to score again in the corner to increase their lead to 17 points to 9.
A defensive mistake then gave the home outfit another easy converted try under the posts for a 24-9 lead and then with 10 mins to go an injury to fullback Joe Haugie with all replacements used and no way back another try was conceded to give Verulamians the result and bonus point at 29 points to 9.

Saturday 5th March 2011

Old Actonians 32 – 16 Hendon

Once again Hendon were ahead at 1/2 time but finished the match with nothing to show.

After four minutes of the match, Actonians were penalised and Ben Linale’s kick was just wide from 30 metres out. With the game still unsettled a 3/4 move from Actonians outfit gave them a try in the corner for a 5 points to nil lead after just seven minutes. Hendon’s forwards kept up the pressure and Linale slotted over two penalties in quick succession to ease ahead 5 points to 6. On 35 minutes Actonians were back on the attack, Hendon conceded a penalty, and the lead was retaken. From the restart impressive forward play from Joel Curry and Paul Julian put Hendon on the home try line and in the following move Actonians threw the ball on their 10 metre line and Hendon’s centre Alex Whittaker intercepted and scored under the posts for a Linale conversion and an interval lead of 8 points to 13.
In the second half and Actonians pressured Hendon until they were rewarded with a forwards’ try after 10 minutes to take the lead once more at 15 points to 13. With the match finely poised, a Hendon penalty went wide and Actonians struck straight back with a corner try from another three-quarter move.
This was not a one sided game as Hendon’s Cosy Mutuma with the help of his forwards camped on the Actonian line. This time Hendons reward was another Linale penalty to take the score to 22 points to16. As Hendon committed to attack and kept the play
in the Actonian half, a breakaway from defence caught them flat footed and Actonians scored in the corner. The next action from Hendon’s Luke McEnemy took play up field with the game almost over but the Hendon maul was stopped three times on the line. Hendon looked certain to score at least for a bonus point, but the ball was handled on the floor by Actonians to stop the move. This could have been a penalty try to Hendon but the referee was unsighted and awarded a knock on against Hendon. out. To add insult to injury, Hendon with their heads down failed to stop the Actonian wing from running from defence to again score in the corner for their bonus point and win 32 points to 16.
This Saturday Hendon entertain Old Priorians in their next League encounter.

Saturday 12th March 2011

Hendon 29 – 13 Old Priorians

Hendon made heavy weather of this league encounter up to the interval but got up to speed in the second half. Captain, Lee Linale put the home side ahead after 12 minutes with a penalty as Hendon’s pack pushed opponents upfield. However, Priorians quickly responded as Hendon were offside and the penalty took them level. Then Number 8 for
Hendon, Cosy Mutuma picked up a turnover ball on the half way line and charged through only to be held up short. Priorians were penalised though and Linale converted to take Hendon into the lead at six points to three. In the last minutes of the half there was a Priorian’s scrum on the Hendon 22 which was poorly defended and the Priorians winger touched down in the
corner from a break by the scrum half to go six points to eight in the lead at half time.
In the second half it was Priorians straight onto the attack uphill with Hendon holding on in defence. however, after ten minutes Hendon’s forwards forced play downfield with Mutuma collecting and giving an inside offload to winger JP Cremin, who
touched down for Linale to convert to take the score to 13 points to eight. Hendon now gained the upper hand as Hendon’s’ backs, especially Blake and Whittaker, broke through. Another penalty to Hendon from Linale’s boot took the lead to 16 points to eight. This was further extended when second row replacement Dave Maskell in his first play of the match from a lineout following a penalty drove over to score an unconverted try. As Hendon’s foot came off the peddle, Priorians were in the Hendon 22 and crossed the line but were held up. Mutuma on 30 minutes was again stopped short and Priorians were penalised with Linale again successfully converting to take the score to 24 points to eight. With just five minutes remaining Hendon were again on the attack with a blind side move finished off by replacement winger McManus to score in the corner.
At that point it looked game over at 29 points to eight but to their credit Priorians battled on to get a consolation try in the last minute to finish the score at 29-13. This Sat Hendon play away at Verulamians in their next League encounter.

Saturday 19th March 2011

Verulamians 35 – 35 Hendon

Hendon came back from defeat to claim the draw. Verulamians started with a flourish pushing the Hendon forwards backwards with their backs finishing off. It was all one way traffic as Verulamians by the half hour had amassed 5 tries from their back division all converted for a 35-0 lead. Hendon’s centre Alex Whittaker then lead the Hendon revival with a well worked centre move downfield, offloading to winger Helio Vicente to score an unconverted try in the corner.. Lifted by the try Hendon’s forwards regrouped and Verulamians were offside with captain Lee Linale slotting over for a valuable three points to finish off the half at 35 points to eight.
Strong words in the interval from coach Dave Maskell had the desired effect as Hendon’s tactics changed with the forwards driving upfield against the slope. Hendon second row Luke McEnemy was supreme and created many of the forward drives that put the visitors on the Verulamians line with No 8 Cosy Mutuma picking up and finishing the moves for three tries with one being converted by Linale to close the score to 35-25. Could Hendon get closer? Mutuma was the man again as from a 22 lineout he crashed through the Verulamian defence to score his fourth try under the post for Linale to convert to take the score to 35-32. With a minute left on the clock Hendon were again on the attack as they brushed aside their opponents weakening defence. Verulamians were then penalised and Linale took the safe option to take the penalty for the draw with a bonus point as Hendon left the field as moral victors. Next week Hendon take on Hackney who are third in the League.

Saturday March 26th 2011

Hackney 53 – 21 Hendon

Hendon were without key players for this league encounter with Hackney, who continue to pursue promotion as the League’s 3rd placed Club. Hendon were able to match the home outfit to midway through the second half when the flood gates opened and the visitors were caught very flat footed.
Hendon were downhill in the first half but Hackney pushed upfield for 20 minutes resulting in a penalty and converted try for a 10 points to nil lead. Hendon’s forwards were able to control the scrums and a turnover by Joel Curry enabled an interchange between Cosy Mutuma and Tony Connor to crash over for a much deserved try converted by Scott Handley. Hackney struck back with another
penalty and a try on half time to finish 18 points to seven up.
In the second half and as Hackney were attempting another 3/4 move downfield, Hendon’s Handley intercepted a long pass on the half way line to score and convert his own try to take the score to 18 points to 14. Hendon then conceded two converted penalties. Still
determined the Hendon forwards attacked the Hackney try line with an attempted pushover but were stopped illegally and Handley converted the penalty try to close the score to 24 points to 21.
Then the game went away from Hendon as Hackney’s backs with the downhill slope scored with ease as Hendon allowed in four tries and a penalty to go 53 points to 21 down; but with minutes left Hendon should have got their 4th try and a bonus point as Hendon’s Connor went over for the touchdown, but the referee was unsighted and the try was disallowed with the final whistle following immediately.

Saturday 9th April 2011

Hendon 32 – 14 Old Grammarians

Hendon playing downhill in the first half went ahead after 6 minutes as Aiden Doyle won a line out, Linale then sent stand off Handley free to cut through the Grammarian defence from half way and JP Cremin stormed down the pitch to score an unconverted try. Just ten minutes later a Hendon drive to the Grammarian line saw hooker Joel Curry pick up to score a Linale converted try for Hendon to extend their lead to 12 points to nil. Centre Michael Blake was next on the score sheet as he collected a long kick from defence by No 8 Kosy Mutuma to
run through the chasing defence to score another unconverted try. Then minutes before the interval as several players were more intent on “Having a discussion” Grammarians collected a loose ball to charge over for a simple try which was converted to cut the lead to 17 points to 7. This score put Grammarians on the front foot as the home outfit defended out the half.
Shortly into the second half flanker Jamie Connelly put in a superb run upfield to be stopped short, but a penalty was conceded which Lee Linale slotted over to extend the lead to 2 points to 7. Then 12 minutes into the half with the Grammarians forwards getting on top they pushed Hendon back again and with their heavier pack scored another forwards try to close the gap to 20 points to 14. Hendon then took another 15 minutes to get themselves back into a commanding position, this time winger Vicente scoring from a
ruck/maul on the Grammarian’s line. Then with a similar move it was replacement Dave Maskell who crashed over for the last move of the game to score. Scott Handley converted for Hendon to secure their bonus point win with the final score 32-14.